Friday, March 9, 2012

Hamburger Stuff

This recipe is from my Blue Ribbon Country Cook Book.  I've made it one time, but anticipate that I shall make it again.  I really liked it.  It's simple, cheap, and lasted me 3 or 4 meals.


Ingredients:

  • 1 lb. ground beef (as usual, I use turkey)
    • $1.50 for 1 pound of ground turkey
  • 3 large potatoes
    • $1 per pound
  • 3/4 cup onion
    • $1 per pound
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 6 or so crackers (optional)
    • $2 for 6 sleeves of crackers
  • Butter
Utensils and Dishes:
  • A large skillet
  • A 9 x 13 (or similarly sized) baking dish
  • A spoon and/or wooden spatula
  • A large bowl is useful
  • Either a knife or grater
Total cost: $3

People Fed: 4 - 6

Cook time: 60 - 90 minutes

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350.  In your large skillet, brown your meat.  While your meat is browning peel your potatoes and either grate them or cut them into small pieces.  I used a knife and it took me forever, but it's up to you. Use what you have.  Also cut up the onion.  If you get a smaller onion, just  use the whole thing.  It's probably about 3/4 of a cup.  It will be good either way.

Once the meat is browned and your other ingredients are chopped, mix them all together in a bowl.  In a small container, put your crackers (which need to be crushed into pieces) with some butter.  I used about a tablespoon or so.  Then put it in the microwave for about 15 seconds.  This melts the butter and letters your crackers soak in buttery goodness.  Now put the meat/potato mixture in your (greased) pan and covered it with the buttered crackers.

Put all of this into the oven for 45 minutes.  And you're done!

I put butter on mine when I made it and it was delicious.  My cookbook recommends chili sauce.  But really put anything on that sounds good.  I don't put anything on it!  Your choice.  It will be good however you fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment